Disclaimer: Our company manufactures and sells the Giraffe Rolling Cane.
More and more seniors are using walking aids; more than 25% of older adults in the United States rely on canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Furthermore, a large percentage of seniors use more than one mobility device. Choosing the correct cane is important to ensure that you are getting the most benefit from using it. A cane should assist your gait and balance. Using the wrong cane may result in an increased risk of injury or cause secondary issues such as bad posture.
Please consult with your physician or licensed medical professional before using any assistive mobility device or if you have questions or need more information.
Five features to look for when choosing a cane are:
- Durability. The cane should be sturdy and built from durable materials so it will provide support and last for many years.
- Adjustable. An adjustable cane is important to provide the correct height for your height and body proportions. When adjusting the height of your cane, wear your normal shoes. If the cane is too tall, it will be more difficult to pick it up and move it while walking. It may catch on the ground and cause a loss of balance. If the cane is too short, it may cause the user to lean over the cane and make their posture and balance worse.
- Secure handgrip. A cane that has a secure handgrip will decrease joint stress and prevent your hand from slipping.
- Freestanding. A freestanding cane means that it can stand on its own if you let go of the handle. A cane that is not freestanding will need to be hung on a ledge or doorknob to keep it from falling to the floor. Picking up a cane from the floor that has fallen is a fall risk for the user. If a freestanding cane is needed, a quad cane or a rolling cane, such as the Giraffe Rolling Cane are good options.
- Rolling. A rolling cane with wheels does not need to be picked up with each step. These canes are good for people who have had a stroke or have one-sided pain or weakness. It takes less energy to use a rolling cane.
Knowing what to look for when purchasing a cane is important so you get the safest and most compatible cane for your needs. Your physician or licensed medical practitioner will also be helpful in your search for the best cane for your situation.
Click here for the Ultimate Guide to the Giraffe Rolling Cane
Check out our website for more information www.GiraffeRollingCane.com
Videos on YouTube:
Giraffe Rolling Cane Instructional Video https://youtu.be/CUkBfFBSrM4
Giraffe Rolling Cane Features & Benefits https://youtu.be/h_AaSdK0FdA